2017's Most Watched
Grant's Recent Blog Posts
- Life & Deer Hunting
- Fire, Habitat and Hunting
- The Late Winter Stress Period
- Trapping Predators Boosts Nest Success
- Controlling Tick Populations
- Quality Food Plots
- Hunting Tips For Late Season Success
- Trapping Tips & Techniques
- Why Bucks Shed Their Antlers
- Deer Hunting: Your Best Management Tool
- Keys to Hunting Success in the Post Rut
- Trapping Now, Turkeys Later
- Prepare For A Second Surge
- How Mature Bucks Use The Wind
- 5 Reasons You Should Film Your Hunt
- Let the Chasing Begin!
- Tough Hunting Conditions
- Got Nighttime Deer Movement?
- The Power Of Doe Patterns
- New Developments!
Why Patterning and Killing Mature Bucks is Whitetail Hunting’s Ultimate Challenge
More and more archers are passing young bucks with the hope of tagging a more mature animal. In fact, the percentage of yearling bucks in the annual U.S. buck harvest has been decreasing for nearly a quarter century — from 62 percent in 1989 to 37 percent in 2012, according to the Quality Deer Management Association.
Amazingly, the QDMA reports there were five states in 2012 where at least 45 percent of all bucks killed were 3 years old or older — Texas (67 percent), Oklahoma (66 percent), Arkansas (65 percent), Louisiana (59 percent on DMAP properties) and Kansas (45 percent)…Read MORE HERE