2016's Most Watched
Grant's Recent Blog Posts
- Trapping Now, Turkeys Later
- Prepare For A Second Surge
- How Mature Bucks Use The Wind
- 5 Reasons You Should Film Your Hunt
- Let the Chasing Begin!
- Tough Hunting Conditions
- Got Nighttime Deer Movement?
- The Power Of Doe Patterns
- New Developments!
- The Changing Pattern Of Handy
- When Is The Best Time To Tag Does?
- How to Respond to Consistent Deer Movement
- How To Gain MRI
- Hunting When The Temperature Rises
- Fall Time Clover Management
- Time Released Food Plots
- Early Season Scent Reduction Tips
- How To Get Deer In Range: Scent Control Techniques
- The Center Of Attention
- Deer Hunting Strategies: Ponds
Why Patterning and Killing Mature Bucks is Whitetail Hunting’s Ultimate Challenge
More and more archers are passing young bucks with the hope of tagging a more mature animal. In fact, the percentage of yearling bucks in the annual U.S. buck harvest has been decreasing for nearly a quarter century — from 62 percent in 1989 to 37 percent in 2012, according to the Quality Deer Management Association.
Amazingly, the QDMA reports there were five states in 2012 where at least 45 percent of all bucks killed were 3 years old or older — Texas (67 percent), Oklahoma (66 percent), Arkansas (65 percent), Louisiana (59 percent on DMAP properties) and Kansas (45 percent)…Read MORE HERE