2017's Most Watched
Grant's Recent Blog Posts
- Trail Cameras: A Great Tool For Deer Hunters
- Deer Hunters That Are The Most Satisfied Have Realistic Expectations
- Strategies For Hunting The Wind – Part 2
- Strategies For Hunting The Wind – Part 1
- Deer Hunting And Management: The Effect Of The Changing Predator Base
- Why The Best Deer Hunting Is On Flat Ground
- How Bottlenecks Help Deer Hunters Be More Successful
- A Big Question For Deer Hunters: How Many Bucks?
- Third Rule For Managing Deer And Growing Big Bucks
- Second Rule For Managing Deer And Growing Big Bucks
- The First Rule Of Deer Management
- Creating A Great Hunting Location
- Maximize The Growing Season!
- Preparing For Summer: Ticks
- The Benefits Of Roller Crimping
- The Power Of Cover Crops
- Burning Is For The Birds!
- Gobbler Getting Decoy Strategies
- Internships And Experience
- How To Get Great Turkey Pictures
Why Patterning and Killing Mature Bucks is Whitetail Hunting’s Ultimate Challenge
More and more archers are passing young bucks with the hope of tagging a more mature animal. In fact, the percentage of yearling bucks in the annual U.S. buck harvest has been decreasing for nearly a quarter century — from 62 percent in 1989 to 37 percent in 2012, according to the Quality Deer Management Association.
Amazingly, the QDMA reports there were five states in 2012 where at least 45 percent of all bucks killed were 3 years old or older — Texas (67 percent), Oklahoma (66 percent), Arkansas (65 percent), Louisiana (59 percent on DMAP properties) and Kansas (45 percent)…Read MORE HERE