This recipe was inspired by the Warm You Up Sausage Quiche recipe here. Venison Quiche is a cool weather favorite at my house. It makes two very hearty quiches. I usually have plenty of leftovers!
If I know it will be a hectic day I pre-cook the venison and sausage and put it in the fridge. I simply take the meat mixture out of the fridge 15 minutes prior to making so it comes up to room temperature. I make one quiche with mushrooms and one without to accommodate the mushroom haters in my family.
When these come out of the oven be sure you are ready to eat! The baking powder gives the quiches that wonderful “puffy” delicious look but it only lasts for a few minutes before it begins to settle.
Venison Quiche Recipe
1 pound ground venison, cooked
½ pound breakfast sausage, cooked and drained
12 eggs, beaten
½ cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
16 oz. small-curd cottage cheese
¼ cup melted margarine
3 cups shredded co-jack cheese
½ cup chopped onion, cooked until soft
4 oz sliced fresh mushrooms
- Grease two 9-inch round baking dishes.
- Mix ground venison and breakfast sausage together evenly.
- In a large bowl combine eggs, flour and baking powder together thoroughly.
- Add cottage cheese, melted margarine, shredded cheese and onion to egg mixture.
- Spread sliced mushrooms into bottom of one dish.
- Spread ½ of meat mixture evenly into each dish.
- Spread ½ of egg mixture evenly into each dish. Dishes will be very full.
- Cook in 375 degree oven for 35 – 40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.